Storage software

Power Factors Adds 100MW Battery Project in California to Recently Launched Storage Software Platform

Image: Strata Clean Energy.

Renewable energy asset management software group Power Factors will add a 100 MW Battery Energy Storage System (BESS) to its recently launched battery storage performance management platform.

The company said this week that the 100 MW/400 MWh Saticoy BESS project in Ventura County will be integrated into its platform, called Drive. The platform is designed to provide asset owners, asset managers, and operations and maintenance (O&M) providers with advanced analytics, data and event management, and service management capabilities. on the ground for wind, solar and storage.

Power Factors manages more than 110GW of wind and solar assets globally and in the past two months has acquired renewable energy and asset management O&M provider 3Megawatt and software company Greenbyte, both based in Europe.

Enabling the management of clean energy asset portfolios from a single software platform, the battery storage offering can also help manage asset health and track state-of-charge and cycle batteries when running different revenue-generating applications.

Power Factors has been contracted by renewable energy company Arevon to add the Saticoy project to the Drive platform, and Arevon will add two more large-scale battery assets to the platform this year, according to a company statement. of software.

“Energy storage is the fastest growing renewable energy asset class and our customers have been asking for a complete solution to manage all of their renewable energy assets,” said Abilash Krishnan, vice president of the produced at Power Factors.

The Saticoy project was originally developed by Strata Solar – now known as Strata Clean Energy – which began construction in May last year and completed work in September. A power purchase agreement (PPA) for its generation was signed in April 2019 with the Southern California Edison (SCE) utility, and the system is connected to SCE’s transmission grid.

The project was proposed as an alternative to building new natural gas peaking capacity when a former gas-fired power plant in the area was found to be in violation of new California water-use efficiency regulations for the recooling. The new natural gas plant looked ready to go ahead when state regulators turned it down in 2017 and the cost of battery storage was found to have come down enough to make it a viable alternative.

“The reality is that competition has driven down costs while increasing manufacturing. Talking points from two and a half years ago about natural gas having to be a bridge to California have proven unhelpful,” Strata Solar chief creative officer Will Mitchell told local media. . VC star last year at the start of construction.

The BESS, which is currently one of the largest in the world, was acquired by global asset management firm Capital Dynamics, a subsidiary of Arevon, earlier this month, together with infrastructure developer S&B USAEnergy. Capital Dynamics owns 51% of the project and S&B USA the remaining 49%.

Similar to the Alamitos Energy Storage Project that opened earlier this year and is also 100MW/400MWh, the Saticoy Project showcased batteries as an emissions-free alternative to peaking natural gas power plants in California. Already a world leader in battery energy storage deployment, California is welcoming a massive wave of new battery energy storage projects over the next few months and many of them will last four hours, the US recently said. CAISO transmission network and wholesale market operator.